Monday, April 28, 2014

Day #7-8: The Overnight Train from Krakow to Prague

My last night in Krakow was #great. I saw a beautiful church, had pierogi for dinner, met two women from Georgia, and turned upwards with the squad. When 10 o'clock rolled around, it was time to take the bus to the train to Prague. Sitting on the platform, I really had no idea what to expect, just like the Regina Pats, at the beginning of the season. But after we got on the train, my previous worries vanished quicker than Toronto during the playoffs. 

The train conductor was a pretty nice guy, but his English, though better than my Polish, was difficult to understand at times. He needed someone to explain how the locks on the doors worked, and Ms Freeman, seeing my obvious potential, chose me to do this job. He explained, to me, how all three locks worked and then told me to teach the other 5 cabins, on my car, how to do the same. He then told me to go to his "kingdom, behind the wooden door, at the front of the train car", if I had any questions. I then slipped into my walrus-themed pajamas and headed off to teach the boys and girls how to use the locks. 

Afterwards, it was time for bed, I grabbed my toothbrush, toothpaste, and a bottle of waßer, as the Germans would say, and danced around the hall, while ridding my teeth of plaque. After brushing my teeth, I went into my little shelf of a bunk bed, took a survey about overnight trains for an institute in Prague, delivered it to the conductor's monarchical palace at the front of the train car, and then slid into my shelf of a bed. I hadn't slept on a bunk bed since Cub Scouts, but for some reason, I slept like a rock. 

At quarter of 7, our train car's almighty leader knocked on the door, and at 7:30, we arrived in Prague. We got out of the train station, crossed the street, and arrived at our hotel. We then headed to the Bankomat, as the Czechs and Poles would say, picked up thousands of Koruns, and hit the town. (Bill "The Amateur Train Conductor" H.)

No comments:

Post a Comment